Backup & Import Offline OST to Outlook PST Manually
Offline Storage Table (.ost) is a file extension used by MS Outlook to store Offline Outlook data file of Microsoft Exchange account. All type of data items like emails, calendars, contacts, etc., are contained in OST file. This OST file allows users to access data in offline mode also. Sometimes there may be cases when user is not able to access some issues or situations. During that point of time, a user wants to import OST to Outlook.
Consider a Scenario
One of the MS Outlook users has recreated his Outlook profile and needs to access Offline Outlook data such as emails, contacts, and calendar. But, they are not allowed to access the Old OST file because it can only be with the account that has created it.
The employee of an organization leaving his job wants to access his OST data even after leaving his job. But it is not possible to access OST file anywhere else other than the account that has created it. If he takes all the OST with him, still he will not able to open them.
In these type of situations, to have an access to all OST file without any problem, the best solution is to import OST to Outlook with all other data items such as contacts, calendars. Now, to export OST to PST, a user can either use any of the manual solutions available or for to have an easy-to-use access they can go for a third party solution i.e. OST to PST Converter.
Image source – https://www.systoolsgroup.com/img/blogger/ost-pst/ost-to-outlook-icon.png
Reason To Import OST To Outlook
To Open OST in Outlook, there are various reasons available that are mentioned below:
- To have an access to accidentally deleted data and any corrupted data of OST files, a user can convert OST to Outlook
- There may be situations when users need to migrate from one Outlook account to another. To have permanent access to OST file, it’s better to Backup OST to PST
- In case of any Exchange server issue like under maintenance, it will be beneficial for a user to Move Ost to Outlook to have access in such situations also.
How To Save Ost File in Outlook
To import OST files into Outlook there are various manual procedures available and the users can select any of them according to the requirement.
Manual 1: Using Import and Export Option in MS Outlook
- First of all, open your MS Outlook application on your system
- Next, navigate to the File tab, then click on Import and Export option
- Now, from the menu list, select the Export to file option and click on Next option
- Then, you need to choose the Personal File Folder (.pst) option and press Next button
- From the Parent root, check the Include subfolders
- Now, Browse the target folder for destination and finally click on Finish button to Add Ost to Outlook
Disadvantage: This method to Export OST to PST is useful when you are connected with Exchange Server, otherwise you are not allowed to perform Import and Export manual procedure.
Manual 2: Create and Move to New PST File
Another method to load OST to Outlook is to create a new PST file and Move OST to PST Outlook. To perform this, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you need to open MS Outlook application.
- Now, create a new PST file in your MS Outlook account.
- Now, you just need to drag the folder that you want in newly created PST file.
Disadvantage: In case of large number of OST files, it may become really difficult or time-consuming for a user to drag and drop each file individually to Use Ost File in Outlook.
Manual 3: Archive Option to Convert OST to PST Outlook
In case user desires to opt another manual procedure, a user may use the archive option to import OST emails to Outlook. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, on your system, Open the MS Outlook application.
- Then, go to File tab from the top of Outlook Window and click on Archive
- Select the files / folders that you want to archive.
- Now, you can browse the location to save selected archived files into PST.
- Finally, click on the Finish button to complete the process.
Disadvantage: With the help of this method except for contacts, a user can Connect Ost to Outlook.
Limitations of Extracting OST to Outlook Manually
It may be possible that a user may face some limitations while performing the manual procedure to link OST file data to PST. The limitations that a user may face are mentioned below:
- In some procedures, it is necessary to have a connection with Exchange Server to convert OST to Outlook.
- Archive option does not allow users to export OST file contacts to Outlook.
- All the manual procedures are very time-consuming and require a complete knowledge of MS outlook to perform these actions.
- For a non-technical user, it becomes really difficult to perform manual solutions without any expert help.
- In case of large number of OST files, it becomes really hectic to drag each file separately. The user is not allowed to drag default folders such as Inbox, Sent Items.
To overcome all such limitations, one can also go for some third party tool available. One such solution is OST to PST Converter. This tool helps users to import all OST files to Outlook in a very convenient way.
Alternative Solution : OST to PST Converter
The best and effective solution to merge OST to Outlook is by making use of OST to PST converter. This tool converts all OST files to PST file format in a very easy and simple way. There are many features available that attract users to use this tool and are mentioned below:
Recover Permanently deleted & Corrupted Files Yes
Supports All MS Outlook Versions Yes
MS Outlook Installation Necessary Yes
Maintains Original Formatting Yes
Splits Large PST Files Yes
Export All Data Items like email, contacts, calendars Yes
Supports All Microsoft Windows Versions Yes
File Size Limitation No
Supports Mac OS X No
Export Selective OST Files Yes
Supports Both PST Format Type Yes
Most of the users face problem while accessing OST files. Therefore, to have a permanent access to OST file a user can import OST to Outlook. After understanding the issues faced by users while users backup OST to PST, we have discussed manual as well as third party solutions to solve this problem by Exporting Offline OST to PST. File in Outlook As it is not easy for every user to perform manual procedure in an easy and simple way therefore, they can use OST to PST converter. This tool helps user in performing conversion in a much easier way.
Latest posts by James Smith (see all)
- Tips to Import Thunderbird MBOX to Office 365 In Easy Steps - November 21, 2016
- Backup & Import Offline OST to Outlook PST Manually - November 4, 2016
- Thunderbird Mailbox Recovery Tips to Restore Deleted MBOX Emails - October 25, 2016