Top 5 Architecture Schools in the World
Do you want to give a creative vent to the designer in you? If you want the opportunity to develop your drawing and design techniques, learn about construction and other structural elements, then architecture is the right field to pursue. There are hundreds of colleges and universities across the world that offer courses in architecture. However, how do you decide which is the best architecture school to meet your needs? How will you choose the right architecture school for you?
There are several parameters that should help you to evaluate them. Each one of them has their advantages and disadvantages. While it is always a good idea to consult with your academic advisor, we have compiled a list of top 5 architecture schools in the world in order to make things easier for you.
Image Source: http://goo.gl/DuqtrQ
Here’s the list of top 5 architecture schools:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: It is no surprise that MIT is one of the best architecture schools in the world. The US is home to 23 universities that have found places in the world’s top 100 for architecture. Out of these 15 are in the top 50. Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the MIT School of Architecture and Planning became a leader by introducing modernism to America. Many of its former students and its faculty have contributed to designing modern US buildings. One of the main constituents of this school is the Media Laboratory. It was founded by Nicholas Negroponte and Jerome Wiesner and is dedicated to research projects where multimedia and technology meet. The Department of Architecture offers two undergraduate courses of four years and a two-year M.Arch course.
- UCL (University College of London, Bartlett School of Architecture): The Bartlett School of Architecture is number two in the world. With a tuition fee of £9,000 a year, this one is certainly expensive. Architecture students have to undergo a rigorous five-year course and a work placement of two years. Even though the fee is high, the school attracts a large number of students. The school offers a comprehensive range of architecture programmes including two undergraduate courses, four postgraduate courses and a PG Diploma, amongst others.
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB): At number 3, UCB offers programmes that are designed to nurture independent thinking and the flexibility to pursue your passions and imagination. The university offers a four-year long programme, which leads to a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in architecture at undergraduate level. You can also find some minor programmes in sustainable design, history of architecture, and environmental design, amongst others. If you like you can later go for the Masters programme and a Ph.D. in architecture (both of these require a four-year undergraduate programme). UCB also offers summer programmes.
- Delft University of Technology (The Netherlands): Also known as TU Delft, this is the largest and the oldest technological university in the Netherlands. This university offers Bachelor’s, Master’s and Post-master’s programmes in architecture. Students can also choose from a variety of minor subjects. They can also participate in exchange programmes. TU Delft University has great connections with the industry, so placements are good. Being one of the best in Europe, this institution is state-of-the-art. You will find a multicultural environment at this university. The university offers a great research environment to its students. If you are a foreigner the only issue with getting admission into Delft is that you should know Dutch.
- Harvard University: The Harvard Graduate School of Design is one of the best architecture schools in the US. If you are a creative person, then you will find the right environment here. The university offers great resources for independent study, which include The Fogg Art collection, and the book-rich libraries. The faculty is good, very thorough, organized and consistent. The school offers undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate programmes. If you wish you can join the Fellowship programme once you have completed your post graduate studies. If you do not have any previous professional education, but you have completed a four-year Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in any field, you are eligible for admission in the first term of the programme.
Getting an architecture degree from these institutions is like a dream come true, and will give you the potential to pursue a career with a prestigious company. However, before deciding on any institution, you should check the general ranking of the college and university programmes. Go to the student portals and find out about the faculty and the environment. Think about your personal needs, the international student population and how important diversity is to you. Compare the rankings and programmes and then make a decision.
Latest posts by Deepak Gupta (see all)
- 5 SEO Practices Guaranteed To Boost E-Commerce Sales - October 27, 2018
- 5 Reasons Cybersecurity Training Is Crucial for Your Employees - October 16, 2018
- Things you should Consider Before Studying Online - October 13, 2018